My card today features a color combination I have been wanting to practice with, and fits in nicely with A Blog Named Hero current monthly challenge – monochromatic. I wanted to try coloring in sepia tones, yep, browns. I started by stamping the Chinese Lantern floral images from the current (September) Hero Arts My Monthly Hero – theme Autumn with brown ink onto white cardstock. I selected Copic markers in browns to fit the sepia tones I thought would look best. Not knowing for sure how it would fair, I started coloring the smallest image. When I was done, I liked it, so I kept going and colored all the images. When I was done they looked pretty cool and was excited to put them on a card. As I wanted this to be a monochromatic card, I decided to use the Hero Arts cover plate called flower confetti. This die creates a bunch of flowers/holes through the cardstock and I could accent the brown tones by adding brown cardstock behind. I had to decide on my sentiment. I have a previous My Monthly Hero from March which included loads of sentiments and banners. I find I am often going back to previous kits I have and using different stamps or dies from them (so versatile). I decided I would have each part of my sentiment as individual tags/banners, so I stamped the words with brown inks on white cardstock and die cut them out as banner/tag pieces. Now that I have the pieces for my card…lets put it together (which arranging things always seems to take the longest).
I adhered my brown card panel onto an A2 white top folding card base. To that brown, I directly adhered the white floral confetti card panel after I trimmed a bit from the right and left sides so a bit of the brown would show on both right and left sides of the panel. I positioned my brown toned Chinese Lantern flowers and mounted one image with foam tape and the other without. I positioned my sentiments and again mounted some with foam and others directly to the card. I wasn’t too sure how this card was going to turn out as I was creating brown toned flowers, but I think it worked out well. I will definitely be trying this same technique with other colors. Take a look below. I hope you like and perhaps will give the sepia/brown color tones a try yourself.